Skip to main content

The 10 Best Mega Man Games


               Now that Mega Man 11 is right around the corner, I think it’s a good time for me to talk about the series. Mega Man is my favorite game franchise, and I especially like what’s known as the “Classic Series,” which consists of the games starring the original Mega Man character. These tend to be the simpler games, as opposed to the “X Series,” “ZX Series,” “XXX Series,” and “Battle Network Series,” all of which deviated from the original formula in some way.
               But right now, let’s focus on the Classic games, since Mega Man 11 belongs to the Classic Series. Here’s my list, in no particular order, of the 10 best Classic Mega Man games so far! Keep in mind that this is just my opinion, and you’re free to disagree with me of course. Also remember that I won’t be including Mega Man 11, as it’s not out yet. That would be silly.

#1: Mega Man (1987)


The very first is still one of the best. This NES game introduced the character and formula. It was a bit rough around the edges, but it’s a fun time, even if you’re just curious where Capcom’s one-time mascot got started.

#2: Mega Man 2 (1989)


Second verse, mostly the same as the first. Mega Man 2 featured eight robot masters instead of Mega Man’s six. Eight would become the standard for the rest of time. Aside from that, the gameplay is a more polished update to the original, and many of its ideas build on the ideas that one had. Basically, it's more Mega Man, but that's fine.

#3: Mega Man 3 (1990)


This one tried to change things up, and overall it worked. Mega Man can slide under obstacles and enemies, and that ability was introduced here. As a result of the game being rushed, it feels a bit off, but the many new ideas help to make up for that. Plus, this one introduced Proto Man, one of the most recognizable characters in the whole franchise.

#4: Mega Man 4 (1992)


Mega Man 4 was the first to try telling a real story. Plot’s never been the focus of these games, but that was especially true for the original trilogy. This one also introduced Mega Man’s charge shot ability, which allows him to charge a shot. It wasn’t implemented well in the Classic Series, in my opinion, and it’s one of my least favorite additions, but it’s still noteworthy.

#5: Mega Man 5 (1992)


The fifth game gets a lot of hate for not being very creative, but personally it’s one of my favorites for… how creative it is. Do people actually remember these games? Are we talking about the same one?

#6: Mega Man 6 (1994)


Releasing the sixth game in a dying franchise on the NES near the end of the SNES’ life cycle was a brilliant marketing move on Capcom’s part. Both popularity and sales skyrocketed the moment everyone saw how much of a challenge Mega Man 6 was even for true, die hard veterans of the series. I won’t spoil it, but they really took the plot in a shocking direction, too.

#7: Mega Man 7 (1995)


Mega Man’s jump (and shoot) to 16-bit hardware was almost as successful as Pac-Man’s. With vibrant new colors, a grimdark new rival character, and cameos from, like, everyone, Mega Man 7 was an instant classic. Capcom could do no wrong.

#8: Mega Man 8 (Who cares?)


I hate this game.

#9: Mega Man 9 (2008)


Over ten years after the last Classic Series game, an indie developer originally formed by former Capcom employees called Inti Creates made a new one. In an attempt to be Mega Man 2, it stripped Mega Man of every ability except jumping and shooting. Still one of the best.

#10: Mega Man 10 (A long fuckin’ time ago)


It’s more Mega Man 9. Might as well be an expansion, except those don’t really happen anymore. I don't know why this exists.

#11: Mega Man 11 (Tuesday)


I lied. Mega Man 11 is the best Mega Man game. Fight me.

               And there you have it! That’s what I’m supposed to say at the end of one of these, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Businessman

               Do you believe in businessmen? I didn’t either until one night in late February, much like this night. It was also like last night, and it will most likely turn out to be quite similar to the night that comes, say, four days from now. It was a spooky night, not unlike the rest of the nights of February, when I met the businessman.                I was on the way home on my daily walk (I go for a walk everyday) and I’d gotten a late start this time, so it was already dark. Suddenly… my phone rang. I reached for my pocket and pulled it out so I could answer. It was my flatmate, calling to ask if I was okay.                “Hey, you’re out really late,” he said. “So, I was calling to make sure you didn’t fall down a manhole or something like that.”                “I’m fine, Gary,” I replied. “I’m actually not that far from home.”                “Okay,” said Gary. “See you soon, then.”                He hung up. I was starting to get hungry from minutes of vigoro

A Ball of Aluminum Foil and Cheese

     I know nobody says this, but eighth grade was a fun year for me. I transferred from the school I'd been going to throughout all of elementary and middle up to that point, and I was a bit sad about that. But I met an entirely new bunch of people, and most of them were actually nice.       At this point, my best friend had moved across the country, and I wasn't very good about keeping in touch with anybody. I pretty much started from scratch as far as friends went. Fortunately, that went well. To my surprise, no one seemed to hate me, and I wish sometimes that I could redo that year now that I'm able to trust that people don't hate me. Because I'm not in touch with any friends from eighth grade, either. Sometimes I think of all the friends I don't talk to anymore and it makes me kind of sad. I wonder what they're doing now. You know what makes me happy, though? Enchiladas. But I don't have any good enchilada stories, so here's one about quesadill

Jacques the Game Genie

Now that it’s been almost 94 years, I suppose it’s well past time to tell this story. Almost 94 years ago, I was on my deathbed at the ripe age of seven, with my left hand between my legs for one last tug at my winky. You see, unfortunately, I had spent the past six months or so dying from a degenerative muscle disease. I remember thinking “golly, I sure wish I had another 94 years of life in me,” and then it happened; I realized that my fingers were not grasping my dong, but as it turned out I had been vigorously rubbing a strangely tubular, synthetic object with a small hole in one end. Suddenly, out from this glorious little hole came a man. As this man looked at me, my eyes widened, and my jaw loosened. He was a translucent blue, and appeared to be levitating above my bed. The man turned round to take in his surroundings. As he did so, I got a clear look at his posterior. It was quite thicc. “Boy,” he shrieked gratefully, like the most thankful of banshees, “you have freed me.