Skip to main content

Terminator: Sector War Impressions

     If you don't know this about me, I loved the original Terminator, and Terminator 2 is a serious contender for my favorite movie. I've seen the other three, although I enjoyed them much less to varying degrees. I've also seen parts of the TV show. What I'm not familiar with at all is the comics. In fact, I didn't know there were any until pretty recently.
     Yesterday a new Terminator series started, so I decided to check out the first issue. It's planned as a four-issue miniseries about--as far as I know--a new character in an old situation. In the first movie, a robotic copy of Schwarzenegger ("cybernetic organism," oops) travels back in time to murder a girl named Sarah Connor so she can't have her problem child and the future can one day be safe for robots to live in peace. It's a wholesome family film, with a great message. My dad had me watch this when I was young, and it helped me develop into the writer I am today. You can see for yourself on this very website.
     This new series, Sector War, seems to be mainly written with fans of that first movie in mind. It's set in 1984, during the events of that movie. The protagonist is Lucy Castro, an NYPD officer. Near the beginning of the issue, we walk in on her having a bit of a rough day. Her boss is scolding her for the idea of taking money for overtime from a low budget police station, her clearly angelic boyfriend Will is drunkenly cheating on her again, and her unborn child is about to get her killed before she even knows she's pregnant.


     I think this issue does a great job of what I'd expect #1 of a miniseries meant as a side story to The Terminator to do. It sets up the situation and Lucy's basic background concisely while giving a few unintrusive nods to what's going on in Los Angeles. In addition to all this, it left some things unanswered, and seems to leave the reader to infer certain things as well. The big question, of course, is "what did the T-800 mean when it said Lucy's the mother and has to die? Who's the child?" It's shaping up to be a very similar story to the first film. That question doesn't get answered right away here, though, which is smart. I have an idea of who it could be, but it's outlandish and ridiculous, and the Terminator series can go either way on that stuff. A smaller question I've got is "why does a police officer own a duffel bag with a loaded assault rifle inside and keep it in her apartment?" I think things like that might be meant to subtly add to what we know about Lucy, and possibly Will. It's also possible I'm giving too much credit to an absurd writing choice or throwaway gag, though.
     The script is sparse, but it works, and that can be a good thing in a comic. I'd say it is here, especially to contrast with the art style. Sector War's art reminds me of every '80s and late '70s comic I've read (which is very few, granted, but I've still noticed a pattern, maybe a popular art style of the time, that I don't think I'm mistaken about. Correct me if I'm wrong). It looks to me like a cleaned up version of some of that stuff that comes off to me as, I don't know, less lazy? The coloring and interesting shading add to that. Yet it still looks a little bit like an '80s comic to me, and if that was the goal, I like it. I'd say it's very fitting considering the story being told.
     Overall, I liked this, and it got me interested in looking into other Terminator stuff I've never bothered with before. I also look forward to the other three issues.
     Finally, to some friends: I know this was different, but I kind of just felt like sharing a neat thing I found. I do have more normal plans for when I get back in a month, though. If I can help it, I'll have something finished to post here within the first two days I'm back. And if it turns out I'll have internet in New York, maybe there'll be a new post here before then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Businessman

               Do you believe in businessmen? I didn’t either until one night in late February, much like this night. It was also like last night, and it will most likely turn out to be quite similar to the night that comes, say, four days from now. It was a spooky night, not unlike the rest of the nights of February, when I met the businessman.                I was on the way home on my daily walk (I go for a walk everyday) and I’d gotten a late start this time, so it was already dark. Suddenly… my phone rang. I reached for my pocket and pulled it out so I could answer. It was my flatmate, calling to ask if I was okay.                “Hey, you’re out really late,” he said. “So, I was calling to make sure you didn’t fall down a manhole or something like that.”                “I’m fine, Gary,” I replied. “I’m actually not that far from home.”                “Okay,” said Gary. “See you soon, then.”                He hung up. I was starting to get hungry from minutes of vigoro

A Ball of Aluminum Foil and Cheese

     I know nobody says this, but eighth grade was a fun year for me. I transferred from the school I'd been going to throughout all of elementary and middle up to that point, and I was a bit sad about that. But I met an entirely new bunch of people, and most of them were actually nice.       At this point, my best friend had moved across the country, and I wasn't very good about keeping in touch with anybody. I pretty much started from scratch as far as friends went. Fortunately, that went well. To my surprise, no one seemed to hate me, and I wish sometimes that I could redo that year now that I'm able to trust that people don't hate me. Because I'm not in touch with any friends from eighth grade, either. Sometimes I think of all the friends I don't talk to anymore and it makes me kind of sad. I wonder what they're doing now. You know what makes me happy, though? Enchiladas. But I don't have any good enchilada stories, so here's one about quesadill

Jacques the Game Genie

Now that it’s been almost 94 years, I suppose it’s well past time to tell this story. Almost 94 years ago, I was on my deathbed at the ripe age of seven, with my left hand between my legs for one last tug at my winky. You see, unfortunately, I had spent the past six months or so dying from a degenerative muscle disease. I remember thinking “golly, I sure wish I had another 94 years of life in me,” and then it happened; I realized that my fingers were not grasping my dong, but as it turned out I had been vigorously rubbing a strangely tubular, synthetic object with a small hole in one end. Suddenly, out from this glorious little hole came a man. As this man looked at me, my eyes widened, and my jaw loosened. He was a translucent blue, and appeared to be levitating above my bed. The man turned round to take in his surroundings. As he did so, I got a clear look at his posterior. It was quite thicc. “Boy,” he shrieked gratefully, like the most thankful of banshees, “you have freed me.